Motorcyclists in Los Angeles often suffer severe and tragic injuries in traffic mishaps. Because they are open to the elements, the impact of a small accident could be huge. If you sustained losses and injuries in such an auto accident, you deserve to seek compensation from the driver responsible for the circumstances. Once you receive medical care and have reported the incident to the police, call a Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney for help. Here are five essential details worth knowing.
- Comparative fault: California follows the pure comparative negligence rule. It doesn’t matter whether you were majorly at fault for an accident; you can still sue the other party for their role. However, your final settlement will be lowered or adjusted for your percentage of the blame. The pure comparative negligence rule is beneficial for victims but is also complex.
- The statute of limitations: If you want to file a motorcycle accident lawsuit in LA, you must adhere to the statute of limitations, which gives a two-year limit. Insurance claims are not subject to the deadline, and therefore, you are expected to file the claim as soon as possible. Sometimes, the insurance amount may not be enough, and that’s when you can consider going to court.
- Hiring a lawyer is not expensive: That’s another thing you would be happy about. Unlike criminal or family lawyers, motorcycle accident attorneys don’t ask for a retainer amount or an hourly rate. Instead, they take a share of your settlement, a fixed percentage as agreed in advance. This is also known as the contingency fee and makes it easy for people to seek legal help following an auto accident.
- Avoid dealing with the insurance adjuster alone: If you have hired a lawyer, they should negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. Remember that the insurance company is not working for you and will try to either deny the claim or pay a lower amount. An attorney is your best bet for negotiating better.
- Always know the legal options: A competent and skilled lawyer will never lie to you about the expected outcome or how the case may shape up. When you consult an attorney, never hesitate to ask the harsh questions. It would be best if you also asked about their experience and expertise.
Call an experienced lawyer as soon as possible and get an assessment of your motorcycle accident claim. Until then, don’t share details with others or on social media.