Enterprises are constantly trying to improve their mobile applications by adding more features and making them more user-friendly in the hope of attracting potential users and growing their business. However, it is not easy to please users since there are so many apps available for selection. As per Buildfire, the Apple App Store has around 1.96 million apps for users to download. Any app performing poorly and offering a lackluster experience is quickly uninstalled. Users install only those that are glitch-free and perfect.
The only way to ensure that their apps meet user expectations is through a comprehensive mobile testing strategy. A well-defined mobile app testing strategy ensures customers are satisfied and helps enterprises in reaching their goals. With a systematic testing plan, enterprises can ensure app success, boost ROI, and gain a competitive advantage as well.
Advantages Enterprises Can Derive From Mobile App Testing
Through mobile app testing, enterprises can identify glitches and bugs and ensure a seamless user experience. Here are the benefits to gain:
1. Prediction of user experience
Modern app users are very choosy about the applications they install and expect a top-notch user experience in every app they consider. Mobile app testing lets the testing team evaluate the app’s use-friendliness in a variety of settings.
Testers assess the app’s appearance and feel, assuming the role of end-users. They also use the app to evaluate the navigation’s logic and intuitiveness. By conducting mobile testing in this way, enterprises can estimate if consumers will accept their app or reject it. Testing also ensures that the app performs well in various situations.
2. Prompt identification of bugs
Every mobile app is prone to attacks from bugs that can impact its performance and lead to heavy losses. Most of the time, discovering bugs happens at the mobile development’s end stages, which can lead to loss of resources and time. The greatest advantage that mobile testing provides is enabling early detection of bugs, thus preventing them from affecting the functionality.
Years of hard work in design and development can go to waste if bugs attack your mobile. The only way to prevent this is through rigorous mobile app testing. Automation testing identifies the root cause of the bug and helps you not only rectify it but also prevent its recurrence.
3. Saves money and time
The mobile app development process is long and tedious, with a heavy investment of time and money. In the event of any emergent issues, enterprises stand to risk financial losses and loss of credibility.
Mobile app testing ensures the identification of issues early in the development cycle, enabling enterprises to avoid unnecessary expenditures later because of post-production issues.
4. Guarantees proper functionality
A mobile application’s functionality is one criterion that differentiates it from other applications in the market. Proper functionality denotes that the app can run on different platforms and devices seamlessly.
Through real-device testing, testers can experience the application as end-users, giving them a precise reflection of the app’s functionality. Thus, mobile app testing allows you to identify and resolve any functionality issues in advance before they increase in severity.
5. Gains customer loyalty:
Every customer expects their apps to be able to meet their individual needs and preferences. Enterprises developing an app need to ensure they meet the requirements of their segmented target. However, many times during design and development, developers miss out on unique features and elements that could make their app exclusive.
One significant benefit of mobile testing is that you can retest the app to ensure it matches the predetermined preferences. When customers find that your product meets their needs and preferences, they will prefer your app over other competing options, increasing your client loyalty.
Key Factors To Consider While Developing A Mobile App Testing Strategy
By creating a systematic mobile testing strategy, you can increase the effectiveness and efficiency of your testing efforts. Here are some vital points to consider while developing a strategy:
- Choosing between manual and automated testing: Complex mobile apps require significant time to carry out end-to-end testing. Test automation, especially with a codeless tool, lets you test applications easily with just a few clicks. This increases the test coverage, letting you test more features across different configurations and ensuring high app quality. Automation testing facilitates continuous testing of your apps, thus enabling teams to get rapid feedback and decreasing business risk. All these are not possible with manual testing.
- Cloud-based testing: Choosing a cloud-based platform for mobile testing is preferable because you save on costs needed for the acquisition of physical devices, setting up space for the lab, upgrading, and maintenance of devices, and bearing licensing costs of testing tools and third-party applications.
- Real device testing: Testing your mobile app on real devices allows you to evaluate how your app behaves in real-user conditions. For example, you can verify how your app behaves when the device is on low battery. Contrarily, emulators and simulators have limitations and cannot be used to test your app across factors like network connectivity, GPS sensors, or battery issues.
In addition, you should incorporate these into your mobile testing strategy:
- Cross-browser testing: For testing your app’s compatibility with different browsers like Chrome, Safari, Opera Mini, etc.
- Cross-platform testing: To verify your app’s compatibility on different operating systems like Android, Windows, or iOS
- Functional testing:Testing your app works as per the requirements and specifications
- Compatibility testing: Ensuring your app’s performance across different devices based on factors like screen size, resolution, or hardware
- Performance testing: Testing your app’s reaction under a specific workload
- Security testing:Evaluating your app’s security features and analyzing the risks of unauthorized access, viruses, or hacking
- Localization testing:Assessing your app’s adaptability for a specific target audience
- Beta testing: Done by real users on real devices to assess usability, functionality, and reliability
With these mobile testing strategies in place, enterprises can ensure that their apps meet the quality standards users expect and maintain their reputation in the software market.
However, remember that the success of your testing project depends on the quality of the testing tool you use. Not every testing tool is suitable for your project’s unique requirements. Our strong recommendation is to go for a trustworthy mobile testing platform like TestGrid that has excellent features and benefits that other tools find difficult to match.
TestGrid is a cloud-based codeless automation testing platform powered by AI that simplifies the testing process for even non-programmers. It allows easy access to numerous real devices whenever testing teams require, enabling them to verify apps in real-life conditions to ensure an optimal user experience. With TestGrid, your mobile app testing process becomes easy, cost-effective, reliable, and efficient, and you can deliver superior-quality products on time to end users.